Thursday, September 19, 2013

No Smoking Proposal

(9/19/13)

We are required to write proposals at Wally World for things we believe would be beneficial.  On weekends, we are "locked in" to the courtyard because the program is understaffed and they cannot watch us all, all the time.  The program is full of smokers which means the courtyard is full of smoke.  As a non-smoker who used to smoke and would like to get fresh air, and may even be triggered by smoking, this is a real problem.  I'll be sure to post the decision.  Below is the proposal I wrote:


No Smoking” Section Proposal

815 Buena Vista West is a beautiful facility with a beautiful courtyard. Since the facility is under staffed on the weekends, it is necessary for the gate to the courtyard to be closed. This means that our outdoor environment is relatively small for 108 clients. Since this recovery program is full of addicts, most of them smoke. This makes for and incredibly smoky courtyard with nowhere for non-smokers to be outside so that they may get FRESH AIR. 

California has a state law that smoking must be done at least 20 feet from a door. Even this law is not followed in this programs courtyard. We do have people in the program who are in wheelchairs who smoke and cannot get 20 feet from the door as a result of the small front porch with a step. I do understand their situation.


California Law states that this includes all air intakes – including windows. I have a room overlooking the courtyard. I love my room, but it does smell a bit smoky some mornings. It is not as smoky as the courtyard on weekends and it is not bad enough for me to want a room change. However, I do enjoy being outdoors where someone is not smoking right next to me.

Being a non-smoker makes cigarette smoke incredibly noticeable and irritating. I am someone who started smoking when I was 12. I also started using drugs when I was 12. For me, smoking has always been a part of my addiction. If I use drugs, I smoke. And, if I start smoking, I will soon be using drugs. Seeing people smoke, in some ways, is a trigger for me. 

If I were to start smoking, I would likely start using. If I were to start using, I would likely kill myself. This sounds pretty dramatic – because it is. I am not nearly as triggered by people smoking as I would be by people sitting around out there shooting up, but people sitting around smoking is not something I choose to be around so that I will not be triggered. I do choose not to be outside unless I can be in a smoke free area. During the week, this is very possible. During the weekend, it is impossible. 

I like being outside and I like FRESH AIR. Sometimes, I do go out there and sit on the red bench down the stairs on the side of the building. Smokers usually do not venture down there. I feel this would be a great “no smoking” section out there. Actually, State Law prohibits smoking in this area anyway. I believe a “NO SMOKING” sign is all that would be required. This would allow non-smokers an opportunity to sit outside on the weekends to enjoy the FRESH air. I would love to read or write while out there. Or, talk on the phone. Sometimes my roommate takes naps on the weekends and I do not want to bother him by talking on the phone in our room – so, I am required to go outside.

I believe all of the areas on both sides of the main entrance walkway, down the hills which are also beside the building would be good potential “NO SMOKING” sections. I have heard other people, including staff, who have windows in these areas say that they would like for people to not smoke below there windows. My window is right above the benches where people smoke. This is exactly where California Law applies and a “NO SMOKING FOR 20 FEET” sign would be appreciated.

I may only be here a couple more months, but believe this would be great for all future Walden House non-smoking residents. It will also be helpful for those who are trying to quit smoking to have a place to hang out and be social without having to be triggered my others smoking right in front of them. I know that for those who are trying to quit, being around smokers is hard. People who are trying to quit and non-smokers deserve a place to be outside and get FRESH AIR and to socialize.

After writing this, I heard that the areas I mentioned are already non-smoking sections. I am sure that this is true since it is a state law. All that is likely needed are some signs. There are many signs available “for sale” online. There are also signs that can be printed “for free”. This requires internet access. I would be glad to print some with staff supervision. They would work, but would not be waterproof. Seeing as though San Francisco’s rainy season is approaching, plastic ones will be needed eventually.

I really believe that instating this proposal would make Walden House a better place to live a healthy and clean life. Thank you for your consideration,

Sincerely,


David Beaty

(9/20/13)
I handed this in to the director of the program this morning.  He asked, "What's this?"  I briefly explained.  He said, "Sounds like a good idea."  He's a smoker too.  He and I have had are run ins, but I do respect him as director in many ways.  We're getting closer too.  Finally.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow thats an nice article about no smoking, thanks for sharing this post with us.

    Herbal vaporizers

    ReplyDelete