Wednesday, June 13, 2012

My Homeboy

(I wrote this blog on April 17th, 2012)

Well, my homeboy is picking up his belongings.  He and I were just in a book study with a guy who had been here for seven months.  My homeboy started casually talking about his intentions to leave Saturday - something I have known for a while.  

This has always made me uncomfortable, but I kept it in confidence.  It was knowing this that started my first blog I wrote while at CityTeam about day nine - Break Stuff.  It wasn't really a positive thing.

Someone had said, "Oh yeah, he'll be gone."  I opened my big mouth and said, "That's what he told me."  I didn't realize it wasn't common knowledge.  It was obvious to others, but the fact was, he had only told me.  A third party told my homeboy that I told him he was leaving.  My homeboy said, "He said, that you said, that I said..."  I hate he said, she said B.S.!  That's why I try to not talk about people.  It can be hard because I hold things in if someone is wronging me.

I told my homeboy this morning that it was up to him, but when we check into this program, we are committing ourselves to a year.  I could tell it was weighing on him lately  I told him, "When you leave, don't let it mess you up.  You can still stay clean if you work on it." 

A little while after the class, he came to me and said, "Dave, you told on me."  I had no idea what he was even talking about, but I said, "You told on yourself."  All's I knew was that I had said nothing to no one about him.  I try to make mistakes once these days.  Then he said, "I guess (the guy who was in the book study) told on me."  I have no idea.  All I know is this place has eyes and ears and that three things will always come out:  the sun, the moon and the truth.  Honesty is important.  

I like this guy and I'll miss him, however, his planned departure left him uncommitted to certain aspects of this program.  The shock wave is felt throughout the house.  He didn't take it as serious as me.  He may not be as sick as me.  This is about my life and maybe more.  I love him and I wish him well.

No comments:

Post a Comment